Local Studies Collections
We can help you to explore your family and local history through our unique collection of resources - who knows what you might discover!
Click a bookmark to get more information on each venue
Please come and view our collections and undertake your own research. If this is not possible, the local studies staff can answer simple enquires by phone, email or letter but we now have to charge to undertake in-depth research. Please see a full list of our new charges here.
Local Lending Collection
Find the book you want to read and take it home with you with our new Local Lending Collection
Look for sample local photographs on ONFife Archives | Flickr
Each library in Fife has access to the Ancestry Institution website for free, you only need to pay for your printouts.
The Local Studies Collections
To help you reasearch your past, we have a large selection of resources in our Local Studies Collection, including
- Historical gazettes and a large collection of historic trade and street directories – many of which you can search for on the Library catalogue
- A large collection of historical Fife newspapers on microfilm
- An extensive selection of indexed Fife maps
- A unique resource of Ordnance Survey Name Books for Fife.
- An impressive photographic archive of the local area. A sample of which can be seen on our fantastic site ONFife Archives | Flickr
- Valuation rolls with names, addresses, occupations of tenants and landlords for most of the property in Fife from 1855 to 1985 and property valuations
- Cupar Library holds a collection of Fife Sasines (records of the transfer of property) which has been indexed.
Remember that ON at Fife Archives also has a vast collection of material useful to any budding local historians and ON at Fife Museums has a major collection of local photographs and items on local industries etc.
Explore your local area's past at:
- Inverkeithing Library and Heritage Centre
- Newburgh Library and Heritage Centre
- Newport Library and Heritage Centre
You can also find many documents on Fife local history in St Andrews University Special Collection.